Every Borough has a different set of issues but neighbouring Watford is run by the Lib Dems and this is what Watford residents benefit from:
- Kept Council tax increase to a minimum 1.7%
- Well-run services, always remembering it is your money we manage
- Continue to effectively deliver manifesto commitments (bike share, Oxhey Activity Park)
- Watford shortlisted for ‘Council of the Year’ from over 300 councils in England and Wales
- Granted outline planning permission for plans to transform Watford General Hospital with state-of-the-art healthcare facilities
- Extra Covid support, £500 home worker grant / provided lots of lockdown support;
- Zero rough sleepers in Watford;
- Watford Together initiative and Dementia Friendly Town
- Supporting the NHS and making Council facilities available for vaccination and testing sites
- New recycling and waste initiatives mean Watford now recycles over 50% of its waste
- Watford has the most Green Flag Parks and Open spaces in Hertfordshire (12)
- Plans to make Watford carbon neutral by 2030 and encourage sustainable transport, e.g. Beryl Bikes and Arriva Click
One of the most notable achievements above is being shortlisted for ‘Council of the Year’ 2021. The judges praised the council’s response to the pandemic, which focused on helping those most in need, supporting businesses and assisting the NHS.
They also highlighted improvements to parks, such as the new facilities in Oxhey Park, and cutting the number of rough sleepers in Watford.
Imagine what we could achieve in Harrow with a Liberal Democrats run council!